Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Minor Corner Repairs

So, here are a couple of before and after pictures of the Eliot's corners. (the left ones are the before, and the right ones are the after) As you can see, the tears and holes have been fixed. This is the first step of the minor corner repair, and normally I put a finish on the repaired parts as well as the damaged surfaces after this stage. But, as I mentioned previously, I can't really do that for this particular book. I'll tame down the repaired sections a tad more (you can see the surface of the new leather is slightly rough), and fix the color of the new leather a bit in order to make it more invisible, but that's about it. Fortunately, the damaged surfaces on the original leather are still in a solid state (although it doesn't look good), so the book should be fine as long as it's handled gently. I cased in this book yesterday, and it's been in the press over night. I'll do some cosmetic works just a little bit later today, and it's done! I'll post the finished work later.

2 comments: