Friday, March 9, 2012

Bookbinding 101 Making Headbands

Boy... my fingers are so dirty on this video!!! My hands are always "beat-up looking" from work, but this one's particularly horrible, isn't it!?! I think I had one too many beer and forgot to wipe the glue off my hands before filming... I sincerely apologize for that... Anyhow, this is a tutorial on making headbands which I decided to create, in case some people might not want to spend time on sewing headbands, yet don't want to use pre-made commercial headbands. On this video, I included a brief tutorial on another sewing headbands: Conservation style "One core headband". I added this simplest sewn headband demonstration in case some people have trouble with doing other styles. (session 1 & 2 of my sewn headbands videos). As for the leather headband featured on this video, I haven't publicly listed a video demonstration on paring leather on YouTube, so those who haven't had experience of paring leather won't be able to make them. (sorry..)  But, I will revise the paring leather video I've made, and list it publicly in the future. Meanwhile, only those who visit my blog can see it. The thing is, that was the very first video I made, and I think I have to re edit it in order to post it publicly on YouTube. Anyway, before going into a tutorial on case making, I will have to make another video which I will show what's needed to be done prior to making a case.

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I don't mind your "dirty fingers" - obviously they were not so bad, since you weren't spoiling the materials!
    This is such a great video tutorial - thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to make and post it. I learned so much that I didn't know! (for instance, I thought all headbands were stitched...).
    Great piece of work, many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzie! That made me feel a bit better! Because of my work, my hands have become to look way older than my age, so I'm normally very self conscious about my hand, particularly. Oh, and thank you for being a follower of my blog. I checked your blog earlier today, and your works are very, very cute! I LOVE your taste! The combination of the color and texture are so adorable and it radiates happiness and peace. Seriously, just looking at your works makes people happy. Ah, I wish I could do projects that allow me to be creative like you!!! BUT my master just gave me 14 freaking books to work on and I gotta finish them in a couple of weeks. Ahhhh...

      Delete
  2. Hey MHR,
    your videos bookbindung 101 are the best in the web :) I'm looking forward to your next video. Could you please make some pics of your tools you are using?
    thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind word, Jans. I always include a short segment that shows tools that are required to do the tasks shown on my videos, but I'll take pictures of them and post them on my blog when I get a chance. :-)

      Delete
  3. I second Jens request for tools and/or materials pics or list. My only materials question was the weight and type of thread for sewing signatures that was then used for making the headband. When looking at Talasonline.com it can be very confusing. It's also one of "those" sites where you fall in and don't escape till you're broke because it's easy to want everything. I did find the thread answer on the comments section on YouTube, 20/3 linen (flax).

    I was also happy to see that teachers are learning about your videos and having their students watch them and it's wonderful that when they come to your blog they can see your beautiful work.

    Thank you for all that you beautiful artist's hands do and for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BJT-2,

      Yeah, isn't that the truth! Tools and equipments for bookbinding are so specialized that it will bankrupt us if we don't know exactly what our priorities and desires are. Well, what tools you need depends on how deep you want to get into this craft and how committed you are to it. So, I can't tell you exactly what you must have. If you ask me what tools/equipments are required to do a specific task you want to try, I can give you some advices. :-)

      Delete