Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Family Farm & Gardens & the Domestic Animals, 1859



Another of Mr. K's books here is The Family Farm & Gardens & the Domestic Animals by E.G. Storke, 1859. It was a simple external and internal rehinge job that didn't give me any problems. So, I restored it blind folded.                   just kidding, yo... I won't be able to make the repair invisible with eyes closed anyway! (In case you wonder about the invisibility, I took a picture of a close-up of a rehinge section.) Well, Mr. K's last book is gonna be done tonight, so I'll be posting it here soon.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, whether the cover is painted and varnished, and if so what? I have a similar book for repair but I do not know how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I do not "paint" nor apply varnish on old leather books.<---NEVER NEVER NEVER!. Any conservation bookbinders know better. :-) Every old leather is unique and reacts differently to whatever you try to do to it. So unless I see the actual book you are talking about, I can't really answer your question, strictly for the sake of the book. - I cannot be responsible, should whatever chemical I recommend ruin the book. Why don't you send me a couple of pictures of the book you are taking about to my e-mail so that I can give you more precise answer? Meanwhile, do NOT apply any oil, even if it's the museum dressing. Oiling old leather books being the way to go is a COMPLETE MYTH. It will NOT do good for books. Stay away from it especially when it comes to restoration.

      Delete
  2. I learn as much from your replies to others as I do from your initial post sometimes and your reply about how to treat or not treat a leather cover is no exception. From time to time I am tempted to do something about one of my old leather books but have always just dusted it off and decided it wasn't bad enough to mess with. Now I know my inaction was a blessing in disguise. Thank you.

    P.S. I really like Mr K's books. I can see why he would want to be able to read them.

    ReplyDelete