Just got the time to post the pictures of the finished work of Mr. Ross' books. He came in to pick up his books yesterday, and my master told me that he was happy. I'm glad. Master gave me a couple of additional books of Mr. Ross' to fix after these three were completed. I didn't take pictures of them, but one of them was a mess.. I mean, it wasn't a mess in terms of the condition of the book, but what I was asked to do WAS a nightmare! Someone had smeared a vanish or a lacquer sort of thing (?) on the cloth cover, and obviously he didn't do a good job. It was applied inconsistently and the brush strokes (?) were too visible with a bunch of missing spots. Mr. Ross wanted to make it look consistent and fill-in those spots.. Ahhh.. At first, I thought of taking the vanish off the surface instead of filling-in the missing spots or making the "brush strokes" disappear. But, whatever the substance was, it didn't come off at all. So, I had no choice but to do what I was asked to do originally. Anyway, I needn't to go into details about how I did it, but I managed to soften the brush strokes and filled-in the spots. After finishing it, the only issue I had was that I couldn't completely get rid of the odor of the chemical I had to use. Mr. Ross, if you are reading this, please make sure to keep the book away from other books, and keep it in a place which has a steady air flow, until the smell evaporates.
// For before pictures of these books, go to my former post: Books from Chet Ross Rare Books