Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Works of William Shakespeare by Phillips, Sampson & Co.


I've been working on The Works of William Shakespeare by Phillips, Sampson and Company. (1855) We've had this particular Phillips, Sampson version of Shakespeare a few times before, and it's always in a good condition. Really a beautiful book with a gorgeous tan leather cover and nice English marble endpapers. The top and bottom of the spine are missing and the hinges of the endpapers are damaged. The corners are worn and some parts of the surface needs to be treated. Other than that, it's in a good standing condition. Oh, yeah, the top headband was missing, so I had to recreate it. Just happened that I had a camera within reach, so I decided to take pictures of the restoration process of this volume. Though I don't know if anyone's interested in something like that, I uploaded them here. First set of pictures is the process of internal re-hinging. The second one's the restoration of the corner. And the third one's the reconstruction and restoration of the top of the spine.

1 comment:

  1. >I don't know if anyone's interested in something like
    I'm very interested:) This is a perfect example of restoration what individuals like me (who has there own small collection) can do at home with a low risk. Do you have a better, more detailed restoration process examples?

    ReplyDelete